A DANGEROUS BILL IS ADVANCING THROUGH THE LEGISLATURE TAKE ACTION! CONTACT YOUR STATE REPRESENTATIVE TODAY!
The Arkansas House of Representatives is voting on HB1222
AS EARLY AS MONDAY AFTERNOON
This bill would be extremely harmful to public education, here's why:
This bill siphons off public funds to provide tax-free, individual and corporately funded Education Savings Accounts (ESAs) for a few students to attend private schools. This is an unproven educational experiment that harms public school students and diverts public funds to private schools.
· Most rural communities don't have a private school at all, and this program would hurt those schools by diverting needed resources. A student's ZIP code shouldn't determine their success.
· Private schools cherry pick which students they admit, now they want to cherry our pick tax dollars.
· When public money is spent on private education, less resources are available for the majority of Arkansas' children. That means larger classes, fewer extracurricular activities, and reduced opportunities for special needs kids.
· Education Savings Accounts compound the disparity between the haves and have-nots by pulling investment away from 93% of Arkansas' children.
· We must ensure that our public schools are well resourced so that all students succeed. This bill would siphon off public funds and send them to unaccountable private schools.
· This bill costs the state $6.5 million in the first year and is written to ensure that the cost will nearly double over the next several years.
· This bill removes tax payers' right to know how public funds are being spent. This effectively erodes the public's right to ensure student success.
· This bill rewards 1% of students with a corporately funded and publicly subsidized voucher which includes the potential to apply those funds to college shutting out 99% of Arkansas's students.
Public funds are for public schools.
Tell them that student success shouldn't depend on ZIP code. NO on HB1222!